SA Fashion Week’s competitions are an undeniable springboard for young designers. The purpose of SA Fashion Week competitions is to assist talented designers, with the potential for commercial growth, to start making the transition from a developing creative business to a sustainable business that can play a role in the Creative Fashion Industry, create jobs, wealth and contribute to the GDP of the country.
Since its establishment in 1998, The New Talent Search is a platform for young designers to prove their ability to create a collection that achieves the fine balance between commercial and aesthetic appeal. This year, the designers were required to base their designs on 2019 world trends by combining contemporary shapes, styles and construction with their inspiration and design talent, by incorporating their own prints or going plain.
Final judging took place on Wednesday, 15 October at Sandton City Diamond Walk where the 8 semi-finalists showed their design talent to the judges.
Congratulations to the 2018 New Talent Search Winner:
Cindy Mfabe – With an artistic approach, Cindy Mfabe is a contemporary ready to wear brand that treads the thin line between femininity and masculinity. Founded by LISOF graduate, Cindy Mfabe, the brand has showcased at Lagos Fashion Week and has been featured in numerous publications, including Destiny Magazine and Sunday Times.
The Cindy is walking away with:
- R30 000 towards developing herSS19 Collection in Collaboration with The Fashion Agent
- Representation by The Fashion Agent for 1 year valued at R 11, 400.00
- Cindy will be a part of the 2019 New Talent Search show one year later, valued at R 12, 500.00.
- All finalists will be granted access to the SAFW Trade Event – Autumn/Winter 2019 – valued at R 3, 520.00, to engage with buyers and conduct market research for their own brands during the four days.
- Cindy will receive one free stand at the SAFW Designer Pop Up Shop 2019 valued at R 6, 000.00.