Established in 1998, this competition serves as a springboard for the designers who enter, with those selected as finalists securing several opportunities for long-term growth. Now in its 22nd year, the New Talent Search is illustrative of the SAFW long-term commitment in the development of our country’s fashion design talent. Designers who display a strong potential for commercial growth are supported through their transition from a young creative business to one which is not only sustainable but will further, aid job creation and contribute to the growth of the local industry and the economic growth of South Africa’s GDP.
In addition, the New Talent Search provides invaluable industry insights and the opportunity for successful entrants to showcase their skills whilst connecting with sought-after media, buyers, boutiques, online stores and new clients.
There are several financial benefits for the winners, providing essential funds and mentorship to kick-start their businesses. As print has become an integral part of fashion design the brief for the 2021 New Talent Search was ‘SHOW US YOUR PRINT’.
Shaping the Future of Sustainable Fashion. Entrants were required to consider 2021 world trends and submit a detailed portfolio of their proposed collection consisting of seven (7) looks. Entrants were required to consider fabrics that have the least impact on the environment in creating a timeless and trans-seasonal Collection. Designers were briefed to combine contemporary shapes, styles and construction with their creative inspiration and designs around using natural materials and sustainably sourced fabrics. Essential to the brief was the undertaking of substantial research to ensure an understanding of ‘slow fashion’ and the way one can live it as well as play a role in shaping the future of sustainable fashion.
Judging for the 2021 SA Fashion Week, New Talent Search took place on the 21st January, by the following seven industry leaders:
- David West, SUPERBALIST.COM Head of Design
- Sahil Harilal, Sunday Times Fashion Editor
- Sarah Proudfoot, TRUWORTHS Womenswear Buying and Design Director
- Ryan Bourquin, National Fashion Sales Agent
- Sumendra Chetty, MERCHANTS ON LONG and OKAPI Fashion Buyer & Head of Retail
- Megan Nel, Apparel & Accessories Brand and Product Development Agent
- Rebecca Gunn, Big Blue Fashion Buyer and Production Manager.
SA Fashion Week congratulates the following six New Talent Search 2021 Finalists:
- Artho Eksteen – Artho Eksteen, Cape Town
- Fikile Sokhulu – Fikile Zamagcino Sokulu, KwaZulu-Natal
- Marguerite Mc Alpine – Mc Alpine, Gauteng
- Michael Ludwig Hittinger – Michael Ludwig Studio, Cape Town
- Sipho Mbuto – Sipho Mbuto, KwaZulu-Natal
- Thulani Vuyo Mlambo – Saint Vuyo by Thulani Vuyo Mlambo, Gauteng
The Winner of the 2021 New Talent Search receives:
- R20 000.00 towards the development of the designer’s SS22 Collection.
- Showcase at the 2022 New Talent Search, shared show, valued at R12 500.00
- One free stand at the SAFW Designer Pop-Up, valued at R 6 000.00.
- All finalists will receive a free stand at the SS21 Trade Show where they are provided with the invaluable opportunity to do market research and sell to boutiques, departmental and online stores
Total prize value: ± R45 500.00.
The Winner will be announced on the 29 April 2021.
For more information on SA Fashion Week contact: firstname.lastname@example.org