There are just two weeks to go until entries close for the Sasol New Signatures art competition 2021. The prestigious competition is the longest-running of its kind in South Africa and a platform to unearth and showcase up and coming artists to the art-loving public. This annual competition is open to all South African artists who are 18+ years and have not yet held a solo exhibition. Artists who have held a solo exhibition for academic purposes, i.e. a Master’s degree exhibition, are allowed to enter. Artists are able to submit artworks in all artistic mediums including photography, performance art, video and installations.
Entries for this challenging competition need to be submitted on 7th and 8th September 2021 at drop-off points across the country for regional judging. Regional judges will be looking for works that make a strong statement and exude a superior quality of craftsmanship and technical skill. Selected regional entries will be sent to the Pretoria Art Museum for final judging. Winners will be announced on 10th November 2021.
National Chairperson, Pfunzo Sidogi said he is excited about the return of the competition in 2021 and stated: “I look forward to see the magnitude of talent the competition will uncover in this year. Works must reveal skilled handling of materials and techniques and most importantly, works must be display-ready when entered”.
Entrants are urged to read the entry form thoroughly and view the Information video before submitting their work.
Drop off points for artists work:
· Bloemfontein: Oliewenhuis Art Museum, 16 Harry Smith Street, Bloemfontein
· Cape Town: Art B Gallery, Library Centre, Carl van Aswegen Street, Bellville, Cape Town
· Durban: KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Road, Glenwood, Durban
· Johannesburg: FADA Building, Department of Visual Arts, University of Johannesburg, Bunting Road Campus, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
· Polokwane: The Polokwane Art Museum, Library Gardens, corner Grobler & Hans van Rensburg Street, Polokwane
· Gqeberha (PE): Bird Street Gallery – Nelson Mandela University, Bird Street Campus, 20 Bird Street, Gqeberha Central
· Pretoria: Pretoria Art Museum, corner Francis Baard (previously Schoeman) and Wessels Streets, Arcadia Park, Pretoria
For more information on the competition, Information Sessions and drop off points: www.sasolsignatures.co.za
Or contact: Nandi Hilliard from the Association of Arts Pretoria on 012 346 3100, 083 288 5117 or email@example.com.